What is a Caldicott Guardian?
The Caldicott Guardian (CG) is a senior person responsible for protecting the confidentiality of patient and service user information. CG is named after Dame Fiona Caldicott who wrote a report in 1997 regarding the transfer of patient identifiable information between NHS and non- NHS bodies. Within a Clinical Commissioning Group, the Caldicott Guardian should be a member of the Board or Senior Management Team and have responsibility for promoting clinical governance
Who has to have a Caldicott Guardian?
All NHS organisations were instructed to appoint a Caldicott Guardian by 31 March 1997. All councils with social services responsibilities and partner organisations also have to have a Caldicott Guardian.
Who is our Caldicott Guardian?
Natalie Jones, Chief Nursing Officer, is the Caldicott Guardian for NHS Kernow.
What is the role of a Caldicott Guardian?
- To ensure that NHS Kernow satisfies the highest practical standards for handling patient identifiable information.
- To facilitate and enable information sharing.
- To work as part of the broader Information Governance function.
- To represent and champion Information Governance requirements at Board level, particularly around the National Programme for IT, ESR and Common Assessment Framework.
- Other responsibilities include data protection, human rights, freedom of information, and code of practice on confidentiality.
How do I contact the Caldicott Guardian?
Natalie Jones can be contacted by email or by telephone on 01726 627776.