Making a complaint

NHS Kernow welcomes complaints, comments and suggestions. We value your views and takes them into account when planning for the future and in trying to make improvements.
Making a complaint

Complaints about NHS Kernow

You can write, telephone or email our complaints team.

NHS Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group
Room 210 Cornwall Council offices, 39 Penwinnick Road, St Austell PL25 5DR

Telephone 01726 627800
Email our complaints team

If you contact our chief officer with concerns about NHS Kernow, your complaint will be passed to the complaints team. The team will contact you to discuss your concerns and determine the way forward. The complaints manager will ensure the chief officer is updated regarding your case.

Complaints about GPs, dentists, pharmacists and opticians

These are independent contractors and the law requires them to have their own complaints procedures. You should direct your complaint to them. However, if you have concerns about doing so, please contact NHS England.

NHS England
PO Box 16738, Redditch B97 9PT
Telephone 0300 311 2233
Email NHS England

Complaints about other local organisations

For complaints about other local organisations, please contact the organisations below directly via their complaints team.

Cornwall 111 (out of hours care)
Governance department, Cornwall 111, Wellington House, Queen Street, Taunton TA1 3UF
Telephone 01872 222400
Email Cornwall 111

Cornwall Council (adult social care)
Freepost RRZJ-EUSJ-EGKL, Adult social care complaints, Cornwall Council, County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY
Telephone 01872 326640
Email the adult social care team

Cornwall Council (children, schools and families)
Freepost RRZJ-EUSJ-EGKL, Children, schools and families complaints, Cornwall Council, 3 West, County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY
Telephone 01872 323164
Email the children, schools and families team

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
PALS Office, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Room 11, Banham House, Bodmin Hospital, Bodmin PL31 2QT
Telephone 01208 834620
Email Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Complaints department, Patient services, Level seven, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth PL6 8DH
Telephone 01752 431651
Email Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Patient and family experience team (complaints), Tower block, First floor, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, Truro TR1 3LJ
Telephone 01872 252793
Email Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter EX2 7HY
Telephone 01392 261505
Email South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

How the complaints procedure works

Who can I complain to?

The general principle of the NHS complaints procedure is to complain to the organisation you consider to be at fault.

Who can complain?

You can complain if you have been affected, or are likely to be affected, by something NHS Kernow has or has not done. You can also complain on behalf of someone else if you have their permission in writing.

What is the time limit for making a complaint?

You should complain within 1 year of the event happening. You can also complain within 1 year of becoming aware of an event. This time limit can be extended if there are good reasons why you could not complain earlier and it is still possible to investigate the complaint effectively and fairly.

First stage – local resolution

Local resolution aims to sort out your complaint quickly and fairly. Our complaints manager will talk to you about how to resolve your complaint. This will include setting a time limit for your complaint to be investigated and a response made. Please include your telephone number if you write to us so that we can contact you. If you have already complained to your healthcare provider, we will not be able to re-investigate the same concerns.

Second stage – independent review

If you’re not happy with how we’ve dealt with your complaint, and would like to take the matter further, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. They make the final decisions on complaints that have not been satisfactorily resolved by public organisations. The service is free for everyone. To make a complaint, visit the Health Service Ombudsman website or call 0345 015 4033.

Where can I get more help?

If you feel unable to make a complaint about an NHS service on your own, or would like the support of someone independent, you can contact The Advocacy People. They provide a local health complaints advocacy service.

Contact The Advocacy People through their website or call 0330 440 9000. This service is free and independent of the NHS. Other advocacy providers may charge you for their services.

If you have a concern about a doctor, contact the General Medical Council. If you have a concern around nursing, contact the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman explainer video

Google Translate

Text Size

Change font