It can often help to talk about your condition with others, especially when first diagnosed. There are a number of local organisations that provide support and meet on a regular basis.
Heart patients, their families and carers may find investigations or treatments difficult to understand and hard to accept. It can be a relief to share thoughts and concerns with people who have successfully passed through similar anxieties and problems.
West phase 4 groups and patient support groups
- Carn Brea Leisure Centure - Fridays. Contact Karen Booth on 07775 744368
- Newlyn - Mondays and Fridays. Contact Robbie Smith on 01736 369469 or 07540 944300
- St Ives - Mondays 1pm to 3pm. Contact Karen Booth on 07775 744368
There is also a patient group that meets at St Stephen, near St Austell and at Polkyth Leisure Centre. Contact Gillian Payne on 01726 873086 for more information.
CHAT Happy Heart support group
Meet on the third Tuesday in the month at the Torpoint Sailing Club. Contact Rebecca Lingard on 01752 823251 if you would like to attend. Rebecca is the Community Development Worker for Community Health Around Torpoint (CHAT), a registered charity. If you would like further information, please email Lynnmurray@nhs.net.
North and east Cornwall cardiac groups
Includes on-going exercise support after phase III cardiac rehabilitation completion with qualified phase IV instructors at various community venues, which includes:
- Saltash Leisure Centre - Thursday evenings - 5.30pm to 7pm (referral from phase III required) - Cardiac Instructor Amy Rigby. Telephone 01752 840940.
- Lux Park Leisure Centre – Tuesday evenings - 5.30pm to 7pm (referral from phase III required) - Cardiac Instructor Amy Rigby. Telephone 01579 342544.
- Launceston Healthwise – Thursday mornings - 9.45am to 10.45 and 11.15am to 12.15am (referral from phase III required) at Launceston Town Hall. Cardiac instructor - Mel Weldon - telephone 07967 790458.
- Polkyth Leisure Centre – Unsure of times / dates (referral from Phase III required) / Cardiac Instructor Steve Inglefield. Telephone 01726 223344.