The browser you are using is no longer supported. Please switch to Edge or Chrome

Healthcare travel costs scheme

If you’re unsure whether you qualify for support either based on your medical or financial needs, in the first instance please contact the centralised booking service at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust on 01872 252211.
The healthcare travel costs scheme (HTCS) is part of the NHS low income scheme which also covers other expenses such as prescriptions and glasses. Through it, financial help with travel costs may be claimed by people who are referred for NHS treatment by their GP (or sometimes by their dentist). Visits to GP surgeries and dentists for routine care, as well as most emergency department attendances, are not included.

Who can claim on the healthcare travel costs scheme?

If you receive any of the following benefits you qualify for a full refund of necessary travel costs.

  • Income support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit with Child Tax Credit.
  • Working Tax Credit with a disability or severe disability element.
  • Child Tax Credit (if the award letter confirms income is below the relevant threshold).
  • Pension Credit – Guarantee Credit.
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are not on these specific benefits but have a low income, you may still be eligible for a full or partial refund through the NHS low income scheme. You can apply for an eligibility assessment for this by using an HC1 claim for help With health costs form, see more information below.

How much can I claim on the healthcare travel costs scheme?

If you qualify, you will be entitled to a full or partial refund of necessary travel costs equivalent to the cheapest reasonable method of travel, which in most cases will be public transport. Taxi fares will not normally be paid unless agreed in advance. If patients use their own cars, mileage rates will be set at the advisory fuel rates specified by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for company cars as a proxy for the cost of fuel at the time of travel. Read information on the HMRC mileage rates.

What documents will I need to make a claim?

You must provide your hospital appointment card or letter, original copies of any travel receipts, and proof that you are on a qualifying benefit (or proof of eligibility for the NHS low income scheme or NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate, if applicable).

Is there a time limit for making a healthcare travel costs scheme claim?

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, claims must be made within 3 months.

Can I claim if I am visiting a patient in hospital?

No. The NHS scheme does not cover visitors, but you may be able to apply for a loan or grant from the social fund through your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Can I claim for someone to go with me?

Only if an escort has been agreed in advance on medical grounds or if a child of 16 or under is being accompanied by a parent or guardian.

What happens if the payment office is closed on the day of my appointment or I forget to bring my documents?

If you are unable to make a claim on the day you attend, you may be able to return for a cash payment at a later date. Otherwise you will need to use an HC5 (T) refund form – see further information below. Please note refunds paid in this way take several weeks to process.

How can I get further information on the healthcare travel costs scheme?

The hospital where you are receiving treatment can advise you about making a travel costs claim (at most hospitals this will be the general office or cashier’s office), and they will be able to supply the correct forms. Information and advice can also be obtained from the NHS helpline on 0300 330 1343, individual hospital websites and the healthcare travel costs scheme web page.

Can I claim if I am receiving NHS treatment at a private or independent hospital or treatment centre?

Yes. As there are no cashier facilities at these sites, claims must be made using an HC5 (T) refund claim form as above.

What should I do if I am not happy with a decision that has been made about my claim?

Please contact the relevant patient advice and liaison service (PALS) below.

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

Patient and family experience team
Tower block, First floor, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, Truro TR1 3LJ
Telephone 01872 252793
Email the patient and family experience team

University Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Patient advice and liaison service
Patient services office, level 7, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth PL6 8DH
Telephone 01752 439884 or 01752 432564
Email University Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Google Translate

Text Size

Change font